Tuesday 31 May 2011

Will Work for Language Skills

I have been working at a hotel here in Konstanz. Cleaning rooms for cash. I was told not to count on getting a job while abroad, which you shouldn't, but I found it relatively easy to get a job here, namely because Konstanz is a tourist town. Lots of restaurants, cafes, hotels, eis cafes (ice cream shop)...well, whatever you like to have around when you're on vacation, it's here.

Schiff auf dem Bodensee

View from the Fahrradbrücke (bike bridge)

Fun in the sun, Rhein River 
I decided to get a job here for some extra cash--I have a few more trips planned before I leave (which is coming so soon!!) and traveling requires money. It's also a great way to learn more about the culture that you are living in. You can meet as many students as you like, from your host country or from all over the world, but you will still only learn about the student way of life this way. You may get lucky and get invited to meet parents and go to your new friends' home towns, but still, you are missing out on at least one facet of your host culture's daily life. The working world.

By getting a job, you not only get introduced to a new side of your new culture, but you really get a chance to practice the language. I can tell you where I'm from, what I study, and why I chose to study in Germany with my eyes closed in German. Because I've had that same conversation again and again with so many students since I've been here. When you are working, you become more exposed to dialects, slang and the everyday language of the people. It's a great way to continue your language studies while earning some traveling money!

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

No comments:

Post a Comment