Wednesday 1 September 2010

How to survive culture shock

Culture shock. It's a real thing. And if you're going to study abroad, everyone is going to tell you about it. Wikipedia describes it as "the anxiety and feelings (of surprise, disorientation, uncertainty, confusion, etc.) felt when people have to operate within a different and unknown culture such as one may encounter in a foreign country."

Yep. It can come in many forms. You may feel angry at the people you are now surrounded by that are different from you. You may feel lost and isolated. You may feel such a whirlwind of emotions that you won't even know what to call it. For me, and lots of other students around me, it comes in the form of homesickness. Just this feeling of incredible sadness and depression, with the thought of "what am i doing here?" constantly running through the mind.

So what? Time to give up? Never!!! Here's some tips that helped me work my way through my own bout with culture shock (which I am sure is not over yet). Maybe it can help you too.

1) Don't isolate yourself. Do not, I repeat, do not lock yourself in your room because the outside world is too overwhelming. This is the quickest way to let culture shock take over!

2) Keep doing the things you love to do, but adapt these things to your new culture. For me, it's running, hiking, just being outside in general that I love to do, so I walk home from school every day, and try to get out running or hiking two or three times a week. It's a great way to still feel "normal" while experiencing your new enviornment at the same time.


3) Stay active. Make sure you don't have too much "downtime" because that gives you time to think about what every else at home is doing.

4) Get involved! Sign up for that class trip, go check out your new city, or invite a new friend over for dinner (it's especially fun to cook something for them that is native to your country that they've never tried).

You have to make the best out of every moment you have while studying abroad. It'll be over before you know it so make sure you don't let what could be the time of your life pass you by!

Get out there and enjoy it!!

 

6 comments:

  1. I think you are right. When you first move overseas, there may be a temptation to isolate yourself. I felt something like agoraphobia when I was confronted with going to the shop on the corner. And also frustration when I had trouble understanding people, and they had trouble understanding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice. I think it's important to get out there, especially when you feel like staying at home, since missing friends and family is something everyone experiences when living overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice. It's probably my biggest worry.


    Your trip seems pretty amazing. I hope all is well for you. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've definitely found that the scariest part of being in a foreign country is trying to do normal, everyday things. I find myself scared to death to even order a coffee, and although it might feel safer to just go without the coffee, the feeling you get once you make yourself just go and do it is definitely worth it...even better than the coffee ;)

    And the more you put yourself out there, the better you will feel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this and giving advice to your fellow travelers! Right now I'm studying for a semester in Northern Ireland and I am kind of experiencing culture shock at the moment (which caught me off guard; I was not expecting it). I feel the same way you did: nervous to ask questions, order food and drinks, etc. But I'm making myself do these things nonetheless. Honestly, I keep going thinking of your article and the advice you gave about being brave. So, I thought I should come back to your blog and let you know that you helped someone out.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww thanks! I am sorry for the late reply, I didn't see it until now! I am really happy something I said actually helped you! I have been in Germany now for almost 3 months and I am STILL feeling the culture shock. Maybe now more than ever with the holidays coming up....this is so much harder than I ever thought, but knowing that this is all part of the deal makes it easier for me. And the more I get involved with, the more fun I have, and the better I feel about being here! Hopefully you are feeling the same :)

    ReplyDelete