Saturday 7 August 2010

So I cheated a little bit...

Since this blog is about studying abroad, I really should have started it before I left the country. However, my experience abroad started close to two months ago, when I flew from JFK airport in New York City to Dublin, Ireland with my boyfriend, my sister, and another friend of ours. From there we had a whirlwind backpacking trip around Europe for the next few weeks. After Dublin, we visited London, Brighton, Amsterdam, Madrid, and Barcelona together, then my boyfriend and I went on to spend a month in Italy, namely Cortona, Magione, Perugia, and Rome.

Seeing as this was my first trip ever out of the States, I found myself delighted and amazed at all the differences I found in each country. People are people, and they are pretty much the same no matter where you go. It's the little things that make the difference. Each country I visited had a unique way of doing everyday things--I almost got locked inside a public restroom Dublin because I couldn't figure out how to open the door (hint: there's a button you have to push next to the door to release the lock). But I'll keep it at that, because the real fun is discovering all this stuff on your own!!


Each country we traveled to brought a mix of wonder and joy, right alongside a heaping load of confusion and frustration. We spent many, many hours being lost, but after a day or two, we would start to get the hang of things. Once we finally started feeling comfortable, it was off to a new country and the game would begin again.

Now my travels are coming to a close, with just one more city to visit before I settle down in Tuebingen. The fears that kept me awake at night before I left San Francisco are starting to haunt me again...”What am I doing? I won't see my family and friends for a year? I won't see my cat, I won't sleep in my own bed, I won't have my stuff, all my comfortable, familiar stuff, for a YEAR!?!?” But I can't think like that. I have to take it one step at a time, and for now...that step is finding breakfast and a coffee!!

Abbey Road, London...shoes are wrong but was still fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment