Thursday 18 November 2010

Relationships and Study Abroad

So if you think about it...what is study abroad all about?? Really, it's all about you. So when you bring another person into that equation, it doesn't quite add up. I can tell you from my experience that being involved in a relationship while you are studying abroad is very, very hard. Not only is it really hard to be away from the person you love, but it takes away from your personal experience to still be so attached to something that is not there with you.

For now, I am lucky because my boyfriend is still here in Europe with me, but he is not in Germany. So not only am I doing the long distance thing (which we all know sucks!) but every trip I take is with him or to him. This means that I am limiting the amount of people I meet or really get to know and also limiting the new places I am visiting. When you are in a serious, committed relationship, it is not just about you, but both of you. And I have to admit that as much as I love my boyfriend and don't wish anything were different, I do know that things would be a bit easier for me if I were single.

And I see it all around me. People breaking up with boyfriends and girlfriends back home left and right, because it's just too hard. I have other friends that just got involved with someone back home before they came, and they are always wondering what they are doing, hoping to get an email, holding back from the new people they meet here because of the maybe that is back home...

That being said, here are my recommendations for those of you who are getting ready to study abroad:

 1)  If you are not involved with anyone before you leave, DONT get involved! Stay single! You will thank me for this :)

2) If you just met someone or recently got involved before you leave, put things on hold. The last thing you want to do is limit your experiences and the things that could be for something back home that you are not really that attached to yet anyway.

3) If you are in a serious, long-term relationship....well, get ready for tough times. It's so hard to be out and about seeing new things and meeting new people while your partner is on the other side of the world. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is really hard.

Contradictory to my own words, my boyfriend and I are stronger than ever right now. But then again......I get to see him every other weekend. And it's still hard. We are living two separate lives, but still trying to share them. And he will go home soon. So.....I'm getting ready for some seriously rough times.

In summary.......stay single if you can! And if you're really committed and in it for the long haul, well, I guess you'll make it through, because that's what love is all about. For better or worse :)

Sitges in the summer, good times in Spain!

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

2 comments:

  1. Perfect advice. I was in the process of getting back together with an ex when I left to begin my study abroad. Unfortunately it didn't work out (due to other reasons) and I realised how much time I spent at home, on skype/msn or ringing my phone bill up, and not going out DOING things. Ridiculous! I'm so much happier and freer now I'm single, and loving every minute of being here, instead of wishing I was somewhere else.
    I know it can be done, and I hope it only brings you and your boyfriend closer than ever :) But very wise words of advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really, really hard to be closely tied to something back home and still have the same experience while abroad. I think you said it perfectly when you said you were "wishing you were somewhere else"...that's exactly how you feel when you are in a long-distance relationship. You wish you were with your partner or they were there with you.

    And really, study abroad is for nobody but yourself!! Enjoy your time abroad because you may never have this chance again! And all of those people back home you are missing so badly will still be there when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete