Sunday 12 September 2010

A moment of peace

I've been here in Germany for a little over a month now and I still don't think it's quite sunk into my brain that I am living here. I definitely have my good days and bad days, and although I've managed to settle into a little bit of groove, I still have a lingering cloud of discombobulation hanging over my head. To counteract my  scattered feelings, I try to stay as active as possible. I jump on every chance I can find to try something new. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not...but I still keep jumping.


Like our student group trips on Saturdays. We get to go to a different city in Germany every week, which, I must say, is truly awesome. What an amazing opportunity!! But...let's just say I feel really bad for our group trip leaders. As well as everybody else who has the unfortunate luck to be in the same train car as 50 super loud and obnoxious American students. It's a bit of a catch 22 for me. I love to travel, but not with such a big group. I like to stay with the group so I can experience new things with my friends, but I am also extremely independent and love to go and explore on my own.


Situations like this tend to drive me a little insane...


But...I always manage to find my "zen" moment, someway, somehow. Like yesterday, when we went to Konstanz, Germany. I stayed with the group for the first part, but then I broke off alone. I ended up on the trail around the Bodensee (Lake Constance), part of which is actually in Switzerland. I sat there at the edge of the lake, with the calm clear blue waves lapping against my feet, the distant sound of motorboats out on the water, and the soft autumn sun warming my face, and I felt a wave of comfort wash over me that I had no idea I was missing. It was the first time I felt truly at home in a long time. And it felt good. The best part was that I found that all by myself.
Ahhhhhh Konstanz....

The Bodensee and my moment of peace :)

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program 

No comments:

Post a Comment