Sunday 15 August 2010

Living with a Gastfamilie

The part of my study abroad program that I was most apprehensive about was living with a guest family. For the first six weeks of our program, we students are split up and we go to live with individual families here in Germany. The purpose of the host family is for us to be able to really experience the German way of life. If we are sent straight to the university, chances are we will cling to each other as we suffer through our individual culture shock symptoms, and we won't get a chance to really experience German culture. We will stay nice and comfy in our little American bubbles we build around ourselves in this strange environment.

So, we split up. And live with German families. Some speak a little English. Some don't. Some speak a completely different dialect of German that even some other Germans cannot understand. How are we supposed to learn the German culture if we cannot communicate? How am I supposed to go from backpacking throughout Europe with my best friends all summer to living with a family I cannot even speak to? I haven't even lived with my own family since I was 18 years old!!!

But...it's part of the program. If I want to study abroad, I must do this. Once again, I will not back down now. Too late to turn back! I was very, very nervous to meet my family. What would they think of me? Will they hate my tattoos? Will I be able to talk to them? Will they understand that I am a vegetarian? Just how awkward is this going to be?

As it turns out, my family is great. The mom speaks a little English, and although communication is difficult, we are working through it. The dad speaks almost no English, so I have not been able to talk with him too much, but that will come. I am learning so much already! They have two kids--the little girl is 8 and the little boy is 5. They are a huge help to me, as they can work with me on the basics. We play games that are fun and help my German skills at the same time. My family is not the traditional German family I expected; they are very modern and act much like my family did when I was little.

So, while communication is limited to awkward sentences and lots of charades, I am adapting to family life and I am growing more comfortable by the minute. I spent my Saturday night jumping on a trampoline, painting 8 yr old toenails, and having ridiculous dance parties to very interesting German music, what about you? ;)

If you find yourself in this situation, grab a dictionary, put on a smile, and keep and open mind. Jump right in because you never know what will happen!

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

No comments:

Post a Comment